While there are several methods of processing a quail for meat, this is the simplest & fastest method. We recommend processing your bird outside (near a hose) with a pair of kitchen scissors.
- Hold the bird firmly and use the scissors to cut off its head fully off. The goal is to do so in one smooth motion to minimize any discomfort/pain to the bird. Be prepared that after removing the head, blood will squirt from the neck (gross) and the muscles will spasm for about 30 seconds.
- With the scissors, cut off the wings near the base and the feet. (around the knee).
- You don't need to bother plucking the feathers as the skin is very thin and rips easily. Start with the breast area, rip the skin apart (like a bag of chips) and remove the skin from the bird. It will now look like a raw piece of meat.
- Cut along the spine on both side to remove the spine, neck and innards.
- Wash off the meat with a hose to remove any remaining feathers and guts. Soak the meat in ice water with salt to remove any remaining blood.
- Dry the bird and let it sit in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. This allows the muscles to relax and the meat to become more tender.
- Find a good recipe and enjoy!
Before beginning, I suggest watching this YouTube video (be warned that the video shows an actual quail being slaughtered)...